Gallery

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Bite-sized Blogpost 2: The Deal

While I was at the American Illustration party, I ran into an old acquaintance. Larry Gendron worked with my former boss/current rep, Richard Solomon, loads of times while I was Richard's assistant. Everytime it was a different hero of mine producing a great image for Larry's magazine, The Deal. Well, Larry was nice enough to let me show off my bit of art on the AI wall and told me he'd be in touch.

Wouldn't you know he had an assignment for me three days later. I received an email with an abstract detailing the unsteady financial future of colleges and universities. Larry encouraged me to push the "unsteady" aspect of the piece and have fun with it...


..so did. And Larry picked my favorite as well.
Left is the refined sketch with some PS value added. The right is a clean line final that I find I need for the more complex images I create. This is apparently old news for many illustrators, but I tend to do a lot of things the hard way.
Really happy with this finish (a true rarity nowadays) and I think it's simply because of the shine on the coins. How sad is that?
And in context...
A big thanks to Larry Gendron for the opportunity.

-S

2 comments:

test said...

That's a fantastic piece, and it's not in the coin shine, it's the composition and negative space. Way to go.

any costumer said...

i like the colors in the final piece. i think i've felt like that for the past two years. nice work